Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Review by Ken Stewart, the "Guam Food Guy"

Another worthwhile spot in Saipan is the relatively new pub and restaurant called Wild Bill's Bar & Grill, which is located in Garapan about a block away from Thai House. I was told about this place by several people, but it wasn't until I ran into Bill Curry and his wife Somjai on Guam that they told me I needed to get to their new place and try out their Thai food. Wild Bill's boasts a diverse menu selection, including a variety of hot sandwiches from Roast Beef ($6.25) to burgers such as the Bacon Cheeseburger ($5), Country Fried Steak ($7), Fried Chicken ($6.50), Steaks, Seafood Entrees, Combinations, and more. They also have a Thai food section on their menu, which is what I came to eat this time.

I ordered the Gai Kra Praow (Chicken with Sweet Basil $7 ), Pad Thai ($7), and was given a sample of their signature fresh rolls (Summer Rolls, $7,) which were mixed bean thread noodles and vegetables with shrimp, served with peanut sauce. The rolls were awesome...not just great tasting, especially when dipped in the hot, as in warmed, spicy peanut sauce with generous chopped nuts floating atop, but also great in stature and number. There were eight halves that each seemed to be about as big as the regular-sized ones I'm used to getting. I ate what I could, and brought the rest to the staff at my hotel.

The Pad Thai was pretty good, too, and I portioned half for take-out. I really enjoyed the Gai Kra Praow. I had this dish Thai Style, with the fried egg on top. It was as good as I've had at my favorite Guam Thai restaurants, with nice red bell peppers and fragrant basil infused throughout. It has to be one of my favorite Thai dishes...certainly an aromatic delight for me!

Wild Bill's is open for breakfast, too, and serves Omelettes, Pork Chops, Chamorro Breakfasts, Beef Tapa, Breakfast Steaks, Pancakes, French Toast, Hash Browns,and Fried Rice. Their phone number is (670) 233-3372 for take-out and they are open from 7am-10pm.

See the original review, with photos, here.

No comments: